La Duchesse d’Erat has come up with a brilliant new challenge where you make lists on a range of topics which changes every week. The idea is at the end, you have a whole host of lists that are filled with memories, humour, and all kinds of other emotions experienced. If you want to get involved, check it out here
The first list is regarding childhood treasures. I always think it is lovely to look back to those carefree days and remember some of those special moments. So here is my list.
- Spending summer days at the beach with the family. We always went prepared! Ice box, windbreakers, dinghy, buckets and spades, more food, flasks of coffee, spare clothes, towels, and of course, yet more food!
- My Nans. Both of my nans were characters in their own way. As I may have mentioned before, they lived next door to each other when we were very young. Both were strict, formidable women, who were bloody hard workers. They were also damn good cooks, and many a good meal was had at both of their houses!
- Our golden labrador Jasper. We used to live on quite a busy road which was just opposite an alleyway that took you to the local recreation ground right next to a primary school. Jasper was a regular Houdini and my mum had many a phone call from the irate school caretaker telling her that the dog had got into the swimming pool again! (Yes, school used to have their own pools when I was young)!
- My exchange partner Gudrun. When I was 13 the school organised a German exchange trip, for two weeks we would be hosts to a German child and then we would go and stay with them for another two weeks. There were other schools taking part and we all had a fantastic laugh. I went again the next year with the school, and the year after, we did it on our own in the school holidays. Gudrun and her family were absolutely lovely and we stayed in touch for years afterwards.
- My record player. I had one of those little box type record players with the long spindle bit in the middle where you could stack a few records in a row (mind you, when you had about 4 on there and some of them were warped, they did not always play properly)! I have always loved music and my records were a huge part of my childhood.
So there are a few snippets from my childhood. Why not join in the challenge.